The 21st century is touted as the century of Information Technology (IT). The rapid increase in IT has ushered in an era of digitization. Constantly competing for attention, the digital world needs beautiful, eye-catching content to keep the audience captivated. As the saying goes: ‘Content is the King’. But who are the wizards creating these captivating visuals? Digital Painters and Artists!
There has been a huge growth in the demand for digital artists for the past few years. Top universities around the world offer advanced degrees in digital painting. It has gone from being a curiosity simulating traditional media, to the industry standard for creating professional art - if you want to be a professional artist in today’s world, digital painting is the way in! While certain other avenues are shrinking, the job market for digital artists is ever-expanding. For any budding digital artist out there, it is important to know what career choices are available for you. So let’s find out.
What Exactly is does a Digital Artist Do?
Now let us take a look at the most in-demand jobs for digital painters and artists.
Concept artists take a vague idea and turn it into a concrete visual direction that will lead the entire look of a film, video game or other type of project. They are the idea artists who know how to make something beautiful, relatable and original based on a written description. This can be virtually anything - characters, environments, vehicles, creatures - anything that needs to look cool! Concept artists are hugely valuable because they let art directors explore many ideas and visual identities before committing resources to production.
- As an example, let’s talk about Character Designers - Character designers create characters for a movie, game, or cartoon. They give a form and shape to a character that exists only on a script or a brief. They interpret the overall feel of the character and the physical traits from certain cues laid out by the writers in the script such as facial expressions, height, weight, age, attire, and posture, etc. A good character designer will know how to create a memorable character using simple shapes.
Think of your favorite character from a game, movie or show. Think of all of the information you can infer, just from a single image of that character. Concept artists used their expertise to communicate all of that information and backstory and to weave the character into something memorable and relatable. How do they do this?
- Researching the genre of the movie/TV show for which they are creating the characters and developing liaison with script writers and designers before creating the character.
- Creating interesting-looking characters that have distinct human features so the audience will connect more with them, all the while retaining their individuality.
- Keep the directors and concept artists onboard to draw visually consistent characters that blend in well with the overall theme of the project.
Illustrators perform the following duties:
- Storytelling - an illustrator must communicate volumes with a single image.
- Polish - while concept art is typically just used internally for project development, illustrations are published for the world to see. Book covers, home pages, banners - anything that we want to be attention-grabbing and beautiful - an illustrator must polish their work to the highest levels of refinement.
- Collaborate with the author, publisher, and editor to create real-life illustrations which are understandable to the audience and fit in the theme of the book.
This information has been brought to you by Digital Painting Studio.